Doncaster Rovers 2 Scunthorpe United 2

Last updated : 20 January 2007 By Iron-Bru @ Keepmoat Stadium
Second-half strikes from Graeme Lee and Jason Price earned Doncaster a point after they had been outplayed by the table toppers in the first period.

League One leaders Scunthorpe were by far the better side at the start despite being without suspended top scorer Billy Sharp and injured midfielder Ian Baraclough.

They shrugged off their problems to take the game to Doncaster and were rewarded when they found the back of the net twice to give the home side a mountain to climb.

Andy Keogh made the breakthrough in the 15th minute when he dribbled through from midfield before unleashing a splendid shot from the edge of the box which sailed into the bottom corner.

It was the first goal that Doncaster had conceded in six home league games and there was worse to follow.

Scunthorpe's second goal eight minutes later owed much to good fortune but there was no doubting that they deserved to be two up at that stage after looking sharper and quicker all round.

Keogh was involved again before Drew Talbot hammered the ball goalwards. Home keeper Ben Smith did well to parry the shot but could only watch in agony when the ball rebounded off Talbot into the back of the net.

It took Doncaster some time to recover but they were out of luck just before the interval when Joe Murphy saved at full stretch to keep out a cracking effort from Brian Stock.

Murphy came to the rescue again early in the second half with an incredible instinctive save to prevent Jonathan Forte from volleying home from point-blank range.

But Doncaster looked a different proposition and they pressed on undaunted to be rewarded for their efforts.

Skipper Lee pulled one back with an unstoppable header following a corner from Stock in the 57th minute.

Rovers were level two minutes later when Forte darted down the left and sent over a cross for Price to volley home in brilliant style.

Both sides battle hard for a winner with Lee denied by a goalline clearance from Marcus Williams before Smith produced a double save to foil Cleveland Taylor at the other end.

Doncaster finished on top but Scunthorpe defended resolutely and a draw was a fair result at the finish.