Scunthorpe 1 Boston 1

Last updated : 29 January 2005 By Iron-Bru @ Glanford Park

With only one win in their last seven League outings, some of the gloss of the Iron's pre-Christmas form has disappeared.

Boston dug in and battled strongly for a valuable point as manager Steve Evans tried to drive them to a play-off spot.

Scunthorpe-born Paul Ellender had a fine opening half for Boston but had to replaced at the break and Danny Thomas was a key man in the defence.

Andy Butler was once again in excellent form for the Iron, while skipper Andy Crosby rarely put a foot wrong.

Boston opened with Thomas making a sharp attack down the right before crossing to the in-form Andy Kir,k who headed over.

However, that was about the sum total of their threat as Scunthorpe began to play some quite attractive football.

Ian Baraclough's scissor kick saved by Nathan Abbey on the line and then the midfielder, making his 500th football league appearance cracked in a 20- yard free-kick which was two yards off the mark.

The Pilgrims were being forced into a defensive role, and Steve Torpey fired in a shot from a corner, and Abbey was pleased to palm the ball onto the bar and away from danger.

Abbey was again in the thick of the action as Paul Hayes forced him to push the ball away and then the Iron striker fired into the side netting.

The visitors were again sharp out of the blocks following the break and Kevin James created the opening but Danny Thomas fired wide.

However, there was no mistake after 57 minutes when Scunthorpe were split open by Austin McCann's deep cross and Jason Lee rose head and shoulders above the defence to beat Paul Musselwhite.

That seemed to fire up the Iron and they levelled three minutes later when veteran Peter Beagrie tricked the Pilgrims defence to cross from the left and teenage centre-back Butler broke through to head a fine goal, his eighth of the current campaign.

The game livened up with the introduction of prodigious substitute Cleveland Taylor, and twice his crosses proved testing but neither Torpey or Richard Kell were able to capitalise.

Boston's only other attempt saw Simon Rusk get through, his shot took a deflection of Butler but Musselwhite was alert to the danger and saved well.