Blackpool heap pressure on Iron

Last updated : 25 January 2006 By Iron-Bru @ Bloomfield Road

Blackpool eased their relegation woes with a comprehensive 4-2 victory over lacklustre Doncaster Rovers, who had been 2-1 winners at Glanford Park on Saturday.

The win moves the Seasiders clumb out of the bottom four, with Bristol City occupying the final relegation spot on 32 points - one less than the Iron boast.

Both sides took a long time to get to grips with an uneven and sanded playing surface and some inconsistent decision making by the match officials.

But Blackpool manger Simon Grayson's decision to completely rearrange his midfield and bring in fresh faces paid off.

In particular Ian Morris had a delightful match producing a host of lovely passes down the flanks to set free Rory Prendergast and Keigan Parker.

Blackpool went ahead in the 16th minute when the Rovers defence was completely caught out by a long throw in from the classy Marc Joseph. Defender Tony Butler headed home unmarked at the near post.

Rovers were stung into action and a series of attacks ended in a 26th minute penalty award. Michael McIndoe's cross hit Peter Clarke on the arm and the referee awarded the spot-kick which McIndoe converted.

Blackpool took time to settle once more and in the 43rd minute the Rovers defence was again caught out by a headed goal. Prendergast swung in a free-kick and Morris was at the far post to head home past Alan Blayney.

Just before the break Blackpool really turned on the pressure again with Parker hitting a superb 20 yard volley past Blayney.

Rovers boss David Penney threw on substitutes in the second half changing his style of play with Leo Fortune-West leading the line.

However, it was to little avail when Blackpool made it four in the 54th minute through skipper Clarke after an excellent combination of passes from Jason Wilcox and Prendergast split open the defence.

A late lapse of concentration allowed Ross McCormack to score a 91st minute tap in for the visitors.