Wimbledon 3-2 Scunthorpe

Last updated : 24 August 2013 By Iron-Bru.net

On today's evidence any pre season optomism that the Iron could bounce back to League One has been firmly forgotten. The Iron were average but extremely comfortable in the first half racing into a two goal lead. In the second, it was awful. 

In truth, the first half was too easy. Although the Iron were sluggish they made light work of Wimbledon who looked real relegation fodder. In the second, tactical nouse from the Dons' manager capitalised on Laws' dithering and as the Iron sat back, Wimbledon scraped a win they'll be laughing about for days.

As soon as Wimbledon got a sloppy foothold into the game, you knew what was going to happen.

It was a slow start from the Iron, who eventually got into their stride when Sam Winnall struck for his second of the season. Iwelumo's scuffed effort fell into the path of the former Wolves man who fired it into the roof of the net from five yards. 

But it seemed as though the joy would be somewhat shortlived. Canavan's attempted overhead clearance hit his arm and the linesman, who had already received a volley of criticism from Iron assistant Russ Wilcox wasted no time in flagging for the penalty. 

Sheringham, son of Teddy, stepped up but justice was done and Slocombe expertly pushed it to safety.

Brian Laws stated pre match that getting any sort of result would depend on accuracy of balls into Chris Iwelumo and Andy Welsh didn't dissapoint as the Iron cruised into a 2-0 lead. He cut back in on to his right foot before delivering a pin point cross for Iwelumo to head home at the far post. Nolan then fired a volley just wide as United were in firm control. 

Scunthorpe's travelling contingent was topped up at half time as a supporters coach that broke down at Peterborough services eventually turned up at Kingsmeadow. How they wish they didn't make it.  

The Iron should have finished the game off just after half time. Eddie Nolan fired a ball in for Winnall, who headed back across goal but his effort fell agonisingly wide. He also had decent claims for a penalty when he got goal side of the defender, but the referee and linesman waved it away.

Unfortunately, it would prove costly. Iwelumo's half hearted attempt to clear from the edge of his own area wasn't good enough and Smith curled home instinctively to give the home side a foothold in the game. 

And whilst the relatively inexperienced Dons' boss Neil Ardley switched to three at the back and made a double substitution, Laws stood motionless. Tactically, Ardley's changes proved to be astute. He brought Midson and the pacy Arthur on as the Iron laboured. The writing was on the wall.

It was awful defending which led to the Wimbledon equaliser. The ball fell to Pell on the edge of the box and he hammered it past Slocombe to draw Wimbledon level. 

The Iron thought they had edged back in front when Winnall flicked the ball into the net, but the Linesman, probably correctly denied the Iron again raising his offside flag.

Ardley's final substitution clinched the win for the home side. Saint Luce had too much pace for the defence and his pull back was met by substitute Arthur, who's tame effort squirmed under Slocombe. It was poor defending and then poor goalkeeping, but Slocombe had made some good saves throughout in terrible conditions.

With the fourth official indicating there would be five minutes of added time, Laws threw on Esajas, wasting any time the Iron had to grab a leveller. After their second half performance, they probably didn't deserve one.

Although the misfiring forwards found their shooting boots, any promotion aspirations will hinge on a very important week in the transfer market as the second half display was just not good enough.

Pressure on Laws will most certainly build and a defeat against Newport next weekend could be the straw that breaks the camels back. Iron fans await another update from Mr Swann- but loosing to one of the League's expected strugglers can not be tolerated if he is intent on promotion.